Thursday, May 27, 2010

[Heading South.]

These past few days have been some of the most interesting of my life. Part of it can be found in the experiences themselves, but more so in the conflict of high and low.

Recap:

My struggle to adjust to life outside of SD had a surprising twist upon reuniting with and discovering new old friends. It's been great and excruciating. Pain, pleasure.

Plans to go visit Sioux Falls for graduation weekend turned into a last minute sprint to ready myself for a backpacking trip in the high grounds of Superior.

Hiked it. Rocked it. Got absolutely rocked.

Hitch-hiked, swam with leeches, hiked with wolves, hosted tent parties, swam in creeks, found Brown Water to be most thirst-quenching beverage in the world and discovered peanut butter is best on the things you'd least expect, survived a flash flood, earned muddy war paint and an official trail name.

Left on an absolute high. Arrived in a less friendly reality.

This has been yet another truly debilitating transition.

My most dependable relationship in this town is heading West. I'm feeling frustrated with my new job. (The more I explore, the more I'm noticing everything looks the same.) And finally, a rejection from my future. Colorado put the kabosh on my expectations. Thus, I’m left to revamp my plans. Back to the point of those posters that covered my walls back in November which I was incredibly grateful to not have to look at for the past 5 or so months — "Do I Stay or Do I Go Now?"

Hmm.

If I have learned anything in this past month, I know that I must simply continue to explore. With purpose. With passion. With every ounce of my being.

In taking the first steps in doing so, I'm feeling tugged in many directions. I am open to many plans. Perhaps more than is healthy. I believe -- I have to -- that I will know it when I find what I am looking for.

Last night I went to an international volunteering seminar. Felt drawn.

I've heard myself ponder the option of picking a state and going. Find something once I get there.

The yearning is still there to WWOOF, but this time I’m wondering about setting out on my own instead of finding a companion.

And you know what? My move to the organic farm happens this weekend. Maybe that will be the turning point.

As you can imagine, with all these big picture who-knows up in the air, my life seems extremely abstract. I am overwhelmed with the possibilities, and - though I’m completely disappointed with the results of the Colorado stint - I am actually feeling quite refreshed about the potential housed in my future.

Where to begin?

Spin the globe. Close your eyes. Take a leap.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update! Sorry I didn't call you back yet - I had a late truck night twice this week. But now I'm all free! Perhaps we can catch each other soon??

    ReplyDelete