Thursday, January 7, 2010

[Bright, reflective snowbanks.]

I have been issued a snow day. I felt as giddy as I used to when I found out about it this morning.

Being all cooped up today has given me plenty of time to process my school experience thus far and all I've been able to focus on is the surprising brilliance of these kids. Brilliant, but dealing with so much.

It's beautiful to watch them in their early stages... learning the basics, trying to express themselves, struggling to balance their newfound friends, families, school and play. Seems ridiculous. Childhood ought to be carefree, after all, shouldn't it? Yet that's not what I've seen these kids experiencing.

The things they face and grasp so young...Bruised bodies, protective of their friends. Stories of betrayal and abandoning. Bullied by those who ought to love them most.

These kids are wise. Bold, and more brave than I’ve ever been, ever will be. Naiivete is not accessible to them the way it always has been for me. So beautiful. So honest. So innocent. So scared.

Yet they always seem to be rising above it all. My proof? The most awe-inspiring question I've ever heard came from one of these kids:

“What are shadows made of?”

Tell me, when was the last time you wondered such an astounding thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment