Friday, April 2, 2010

[Drain.]

The lovely girl with whom I spent my childhood exploring told me some interesting news this past weekend when I stopped by for a visit.

Now, this friend will forever reside in my heart as the ginger-haired, allergy-ridden, corrective-eye patch-wearing girl in overalls from my past. In those days, boys were always figurative. Neither one of us was actually supposed to be able to captivate a male specimen. We were supposed to be tomboys, playing catch in the street while donning flannel shirts, able only to dream of boys like J-14’s JTT.

She has morphed quite a bit since then. Today she is a social butterfly, living a life on Grand Ave that has me envious every moment. She is a strong, captivating individual who leads a life full of heart… and I like to think our time together in her RV listening to Mariah Carey has something to do with her well-rounded outcome.

Her bold, city slicker lifestyle has left her and her long time boyfriend quite a distance apart, however. For years now, they’ve been working through a long-distance relationship. Considering the fact that we’re all 23 years young, their 5 or 6 year relationship is one for the record books, as far as I’m concerned. Her news this weekend was that things had become too difficult. The relationship, which was supposed to be the calm to her life’s storm, was becoming the stressor. She had to call it off, if only for the time being.

People who no one would ever expect to look at a relationship in general in a positive light have taken an uncharacteristic interest in the decision this couple has been forced to make. Two of these folk have expressed encouragement for her to trust in their mutual adoration.

“I think you two are soulmates.”

Isn’t it funny just how profound that statement can be when it comes from the mouth of someone you’d least expect to hear it from?

I second this boy’s notion, but, then again, that’s not a surprise. I’m still that hopeless romantic who – despite my own experience in this field which would claim otherwise— still believes in ‘if it’s meant to be, it’ll be’. Oddly, I take comfort in his understanding of this couple’s commitment and love. (I term it odd simply because I have yet to understand why I’m the one needing the encouragement.)

Additionally, isn’t it refreshing to hear someone confess a belief in soulmates today?

Ugh. The notion has been brutally attacked in my world for several years, and I’d begun talking myself out of the idealistic concept. To put it plainly, I was beginning to lose hope in such a thing. And that’s a problem, considering the fact that relationships need every glimmer of hope that they can get.

Now, sitting here reflecting on my childhood bestie and her lost (or paused?) relationship, one would assume that this would only add to my progress toward cementing a thoroughly negative understanding of long-term commitment, lifelong love, and enduring relationship.

But it doesn’t. I’m still a believer. Perhaps even more so than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment